What is Digital Marketing?
The efforts you take to market your business online is digital marketing and it encompasses a lot more than just posting to social media. A business’s digital marketing strategy looks very different from another’s, but they usually include one or more of the following:
- content marketing
- social media marketing (including native and influencer marketing)
- paid advertising campaigns (these can be through a search engine or specific to a social media platform)
- email marketing
- website search engine optimization, and much more!
Ideally, these elements are tied together, creating a cohesive and purposeful digital marketing strategy.
Strategy, Strategy, Strategy
Why does strategy matter? It’s easy enough to pay Instagram or Facebook to boost a post, but what is the overreaching purpose behind that effort? Say you’re implementing social media ads, you’re taking advantage of website funneling tactics and email marketing campaigns — but what is the overall goal you’re trying to achieve?
Here are some important things to consider when devising a digital marketing strategy:
- Am I reaching the target demographics for my ideal customer?
- Have I identified my ideal customer?
- Are my marketing efforts aligned? Are they in conflict?
- Am I including CTAs (call-to-actions) that direct potential customers where I need them to go?
- How do I measure the success of my marketing strategy?
Trying to market your business online without a strategy is like trying to build a house from the inside out. Build the foundation and guiding framework before you start painting the walls, so to speak.
The Collective Approach
Sometimes the best perspective is an outside one! One of the benefits of working with SSM Creative Collective is our preliminary auditing process. When bringing on any new clients, we work together through a Discovery phase, identifying what’s working and what’s not.
With an outside lens, we can help identify where strategy needs to be aligned, examine how well you’re communicating with your audiences, and determine if your digital marketing efforts have your business posed to make conversions.